View Single Post
Unread 02-10-2001, 01:25 PM   #2
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default I understand your points - but...

Hi Kyrie,

The points you make are very well stated - but I think they would need to be put into pespective. Yes, you are right - folks that re-stamp or purposely put in "non-original" parts with the intent to re-sell them as "original" are commiting fraud. And yes, these folks victimize new and more experienced collectors alike. Unfortunately - it happens to the best of us sometimes (ask me about a sideframe HK commercial someday - I fell victim as well when I was a beginning collector).

However - I do not agree that the folks who post in the Classifieds looking for specific numbered parts are doing anything wrong at all. In fact - one of the pieces I have has no toggle pin (Axel pin) - and you bet - I'd like to find a matching number if I can find one at all. My intent is not to "turn this over" as a "matching Luger" - but rather, have a piece in my collection that I can come as close to "original" as possible. Will I sell that 1918 DWM someday? Maybe - but at the sametime, I wouldn't represent it as "all original" - maybe since I've been a victim of that previously, I'm overly sensitive to that (see above) - but I'd like to believe that I'm not alone in that sentiment within this Board.

Therefore - while I appreciate your post - frankly, this is an "individualist hobby" - and to cast a pallor over anyone who looks for specific numbers for our own personal use/satisfaction - predetermines that anyone who would look for those parts with matching numbers is a "crook"... Frankly, that's just not true, IMNSHO...