View Single Post
Unread 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #4
4 Scale
User

I was able to dissemble the toggle parts fairly easily, but the pin holding the S-link would not budge using a 3/32 punch and mallet. So, I chucked a 3/32" drill bit into the press, upside down. As with the sear plunger pin, there was a hole in the wood to receive the pin when it was pressed out.

I had to pull down pretty hard on the drill press handle - the pin would not move and the drill bit began to slide upward into the chuck vise. So I then chucked the punch into the drill press; the punch has a textured handling surface less less likely to slip. Note that this toggle has been re-blued. I'm wondering if that was why the pin was so tight. Plenty of pressure, then a "bang", and the whole thing was apart.

I cleaned out ancient sludge where the pin had held the s-link into the rear toggle, then used the mallet to start the pin. It was tight going back together, but the pin went in much easier than it came out.

Pistol is now reassembled and function checked.

There you have it. I've now 100% dissembled a P 08 including the toggle, S-link and sear plunger assembly. Having done it, I would not recommend disassembly of the toggle and sear plunger absent an issue - the grime removed was not that significant, and the risk of marring the parts or losing the spring was always present. But, for those like me, who cannot leave perfectly functional P 08s alone, or who enjoy the challenge, use at your risk and as you wish.

This photo shows the 3/32" punch mounted in the drill press, which was used to remove the pin, just before I pressed the pin back in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	63598  

4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post: