View Single Post
Unread 09-13-2002, 10:15 PM   #26
markm3
User

I was the buyer (well, sort of) of the mismatched Erfurt on Gun Broker, for $1,402.00, and don't laugh so hard. There is more laughing to come. I know an older gentleman here who wants an Artillery so badly he can taste it, and didn't know where to look. He has an old unit marked 1908 second issue, and wanted an artillery as well. When Ed told us about these two on Gun Broker, I printed them out and showed him the photos, thinking I was doing him a kindness.

He is not internet-savvy, and asked me to bid for him, which I did. I referred him to Ralph's site, gave him a few other tips, and counseled him on price. My advice was not a penny more than $1,000. Once he saw the photo of the Erfurt, he was determined to have it. Now for the insane part. His high bid, in case he needed it, and I thought he might: $1,900.00

He wanted to go as high as $2,000.00, and I refused. Hell, I was tempted to sell him my matching 1914 DWM for $1,400.00, but I'm not that nice. Finally, I gave in.

Seriously, folks, there are no more good deals on artilleries. I have been watching these auctions for a couple of years, and it is depressing. Nothing goes for less than $1,300 or so, and every time I query a seller who has an absurd reserve, I get something like "Ralph Shattuck prices Artilleries in his book for a minimum of $1,300." Sure enough, he does. The minimum listed for a 1914 Erfurt, presumably mismatched, is $1,300. People are using this as a gauge, and pricing and bidding accordingly. The topper is that outrageous 15 minute rule. I could have gotten him that thing for a few hundred bucks less, but every time it would end, with three seconds left it seemed, some character named Josie Wales or another named Porsche 42 would bid again. It was like an Ottoman bazaar. Lucy Josie and Porsche gave up, or the poor guy wold have paid a hair under 2 grand for a mismatched artillery.

The problem, aside from artillery hysteria, is the dearth of good ones. After all, who among us is willing to sell his matched artillery? There just isn't that much out there that is good for under $2,000.00, and that is a psychological hurdle a lot of people just won't make. Personally, I have one, and have no intention of purchasing another until I see a complete rig, and I'll pay real money for that. What depresses me is that this is a shooter, nothing more (if that), and he won't shoot it! Maybe I'll borrow it from him and see if it works.

Thanks for listening to my rant.