View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #16
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Michael,
Thank you for that update identifying the serial number of your Ideal stock as 5673! That is a big relief to me as your originally stated serial number of 5600 would seem to indicate that at least 74 Ideal stock/holsters had been U.S. Ordnance marked and serial numbered. Given the lack of other surviving examples or corroborating documentation that is most unlikely!

I have known about Mark’s (Whitehat) Luger and Ideal grips for a long time and have been generally dismissive with regard to their authenticity. However, in all fairness I have to acknowledge the possibility. The best rationale for such an otherwise dubious circumstance that I can entertain is the notion that someone with relatively high authority in the U.S. Ordnance department had sufficient interest and discretionary funds to make an exploratory purchase of the Ideal rig ancillary to the official Luger Test Trial contract. Being a totally commercial transaction to acquire items that then would become government property would tend to support the Ordnance property marking of the Ideal items and a corresponding association of them with the Luger for inventory purposes. I know that is a stretch, but not totally outside the realm of possibility, at least I would like to think so.

So, at the least, this unique set of items deserves to be reunited. I would like to see Mark be able to acquire the stock to go with his gun and grips to preserve a possible (if perhaps questionably probable) complete example of U.S. history. If any of you folks out there have a spare Ideal stock that Mark could acquire as trading material to Michael for his stock it would be gratifying and mutually beneficial gesture all around.
Ron

P.S. In case you are wondering about Mark's best wishes for my procedure tomorrow, it is for a cardiac ablation. Not a big deal, but a kind thought or two from my friends is appreciated.