View Single Post
Unread 03-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
Stu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Anything done to the guns after they leave the factory, can and will, for the most part, reduce the value.. There are exceptions to this, but not many... The key word, and you have already stated it, is relativity? Objective or subjective, comes into play... For instance, you have a DWM 1914 Luger, an imperial collector would look at that as a pure form of Luger, where'as the collector who likes Weimar era guns would prefer the 1920 stamp as it fits his collecting nitch... Refinish is also a consideration, but, when and by whom is also a factor?... And, on top of all that, condition trumps all! Meaning to be collectible, regardless of the markings, the condition of a common variation needs to be pristine to have any carry over speculative value, I call blue sky... All I can say for sure, is stick your money away for that once in a lifetime Luger that shows up sometime when you are really broke, and let your knowledge/skill and opportunity meet, which is the definition of luck.... best, til....lat'r....GT
Thanks Curt & GT. I rather suspected that. I'm in the buy "the best I can afford" scenario.

Criteria being matching numbers, (less grips and magazine), original finish, (not too fussed if it's worn), no significant pitting / damage, no grips with chips, only very discrete import marks, if any.

The kicker is I'm looking for a pre stock lug, hold open installed, military dated 1911 - 1913. I suspect my wants outstrip my budget !
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote