View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Jean Marie..!

I apologize for the delayed reply!! I have several jobs - and the LugerForum is a passion of mine - but find that I have too little spare time to post rather than spend time to keep the Forum running.

However - in short...

Krieghoff Lugers were produced under contract for the German WW2 airforce (Luftwaffe). The Luftwaffe included the air-force, flak units, paratroops, and support units. Krieghoff Lugers were typically found in the flak and paratroop units - rather than Pilots. I know it is glamorous to think that every pilot was given an HK Luger - but - that is certainly not the case (except when fighter aircraft were shipped with an HK Luger to their destination airport - but that is another long post ).

Anyway - your "P code" originated as a Military production. Based on the serial number - the frame and cannon would have been originally manufactured in the 1936 - 1937 timeframe. At that time - it was "rejected" by the Military, so was "put on the shelf" and NOT issued under the Luftwaffe contract.

Later - in 1938 and 1939, after the original Military contract was fulfilled - your "Military rejected" (Star) was re-worked and released as a "Commercial". Notice the horizontal "Crown N". In short - it would have been "sold" during late 1938 or during 1939 as HK started to dispose/rework the rejected Military from the original contract and sell them into the Commercial market.

For that - many "Commercial HKs" did find their way into the conflict - given procurement mandates and restrictions.

Best to you!

John
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote