Unread 04-20-2002, 09:18 AM   #16
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Re: Krieg 1945...

Hi Bill,

Yep - I've heard the same thing as you - that some guy (well - actually the rumor was there were two guys "involved" in the scam) put out a number of faked 1945s. Over the last two years, however - some fairly extensive tests were done to determine of the few that are known collection pieces, are they original or forgeries? Since it's not my data to share on the exact nature of the tests, what I can say is that the testing proceedure recently turned out positive that the "documented" pieces are correct. And as you know - several "1945s" have recently changed hands, which I think helped spur the testing itself. For that - you are right on target with the comments on how many out there may, in fact, be forgeries?? I don't know if the rumor is totally false or there are some "faked" 1945s? I'm not sure there is any way to forecast that number, either..??

However - for a piece that commands a $25,000 selling price - I'd be looking at every mark, stratch, stamp - whatever compared side-by-side to a documented original - even if I had to make a plane trip to make that comparision

Thanks for the lead on the 1943 too..! I'd love to find out more if you'd like to pop me over a private e-mail..! Thanks!