View Single Post
Unread 01-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Paladinpainter
User

Default I think he's got it.

Mark, et al:
I've had a chance to blue 4 guns since Mark shared the secret of Sodium Nitrate: a modern S&W, a Bolo Mauser, a Remington 700 ( control), and a Winchester 1895.
For a solution, I used 2oz of Brownell's Rust Bluing with 40grams of sodium nitrate, applied with mops of paper towel, rusted in a humidity cabinet, boiled in distilled water, and carded on a .0004 inch stainless steel wheel
Here's what I found:
The Model 19 does indeed have some blue spectral high lights. For comparison, on the left is 1920s commercial, the S&W is in the middle, and a Pilkington's blued 1916 Erfurt. The pictures dont convey the colors very well, but the highlights of the S&W is closer to the commercial than the Erfurt.
The Bolo Mauser seemed to rust quickly in my humidity box, however the finish was kind of thin. After many trips to the cabinet, I had very rich blue/black finish with blue highlights.
At the same time I did the 'smith, I blued the Remington 700 with unadulterated Brownell's Rust Bluing as a control. It came out a deep satin black as I expected.
It was with the Winchester 1895 that the sodium nitrate really did its magic. There is no missing that the metal is a deep lusterous blue. As soon as I have a chance, I will post a photo comparison with a standard rust black finish.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3barrels.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	23902  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9001-1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	23903