Unread 12-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post
Thanks Postino. Sorry about the Ed thing. Thats great information to have. I would say that the body rates 80 to 85% and the barrel 90 to 95%. Do you think the barrel is a reproduction or done by the Germans ?
A.
Andy, I know nothing about Navy lugers...I've read here that some "Navy" Lugers had 4" barrels and fixed toggle rear sights...The stampings were what determined whether it was a Navy issue or not...but a toggle mounted 2-position adjustable rear sight and a ~6" barrel are considered "Navy" as well...

Closeup pics of those frame markings/stampings will show exactly what it is you have...or what it's not...Drawings are not much help, as there are Lugers out there with false markings on them, being sold for more that they're really worth...A good closeup of that barrel serial is a good idea, too...along with a closeup of the frame serial (to compare fonts and number heights)...And any proof marks on that barrel...

I understand that some Lugers were fitted with long barrels...I have no idea by who or what...but there are some excellent repros...

More knowledgeable people than me will no doubt chime in here somewhere...

It's an interesting Luger...I like long barrels...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote