View Single Post
Unread 09-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
Rick W.
User

I have pondered the feed ramp in a Luger barrel a little. Still not satisfied with my endeavors theoretically yet, things seem to work and seem safe, but still there are parameters to consider further if you will. Always something has to be learned and paid for.

I would suspect that the ramp would be done in a mill or in a milling adapter on a lathe.

So what are a few considerations?

angle off bore line......as discussed above perhaps. Lots of ways to find the angle reference to bore line I reckon; oem barrel indicated in a lathe.

Width and depth of cut............kinda influence one another with the cutter.

projection into the barrel bore proper. The cartridges for the Luger are fairly intense in the psi department. We all know that brass cases are thicker at the rear than in front for safety in retaining said pressures intact.

so if the cut is made too deep into the barrel bore, the case begins to possibly become unsupported. Thin brass walls and pressure can become testy.

In these few parameters of the many probably, the depth into the bore seems to have more weight sorta speak to me. Just my simple opinion. I think angle is just one of the considerations for a proper feed ramp; but know everyone is thinking about other parameters for basic safety of the finished product.

I like improved sights on the Luger nowadays, the old basic is too tough for me now. A nice sight picture ala a fine target gun is the thing that helps me out a lot. But even that goes. An optical sight, redot or scope really allows one to align to the target.............and sometimes even hit it. Optics are not for everyone, but as in the other disciplines, optics can be a bit of a boon in those environments.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Rick W. for your post: