Unread 07-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I did the same thing, long ago. But when I soaked it, the embossed 'US" disappeared...
this one is still there. Its relief might be a little lower, and it is harder to read as it negotiates the new contours, but overall this one survived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlim View Post
The white holster has an NSN number inside, which identifies it as being German.
The color suggests military police use. 1979 date. So I would expect it was used to carry a P1.
Thanks,Gerben. Not sure if you followed the GB link, but it had some different pics and the description said it was German. I have no clue about the coding the stamped numbers represent, but guessed at the '79 date. Did you catch the name, K Lingbiel, written inside the flap, close to where it is sewn on?
I've seen the equivalent, in parades, etc. here when I was a kid. (Small town parades seem pretty rare these days.) I recall it was MPs/color guard, or the like, with matching white belts and helmets. I grew up in Watertown, NY, and its proximity to Fort Drum probably ensured a limitless resource of military marching units for local parades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
In the molds I make the food saver idea might not keep the shape I want long enough for it to dry completely. Once the pressure is released..the form could shift enough to lose control.

Luger Imperial Navy holsters for instance..they must be very precise. Tucked and rolled so to speak and made to stay that way for days..might take a week to completely dry.
I was worried about that, too, but even though I removed the holster and blank from the plastic bag after not much more than an hour, it didn't seem to have budged after drying overnight--which, now that I'm thinking more about it, drying it relatively quickly might also help it keep the new shape.
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote