View Single Post
Unread 11-01-2020, 02:48 AM   #22
grantman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi,

German Army round nose ball was loaded between 1.169 and 1.173 inches. For best function in a Luger, with Meg-Gar magazines, these lengths will feed very trustworthily.

Those powder charges seem way too high to me, but i would have to shoot your actual loadings to verify this. If you are experiencing breach block slam at these charge weights, you will eventually damage your very fine Luger.

Respectfully,

Sieger
These loads are posted in Speer manuals #14 & 15. For AA#7, the range is 8.6 gr. to 9.6 gr. The 8.6 grainers, fired from a S&W 5906 claim a velocity of roughly 1158fps. I'm loading between 8.5 &9.0 gr. I have yet to chronograph these loads, but I'm guessing the 8.5 grainers will offer less than 1158 fps. Examination of fired cases reveals no excessive pressure signs with either 8.5 or 9.0 grains. The charge weights may seem heavy to those using unique, 231 or bullseye. AA7 is a bulky powder in comparison, but was formulated for 9mm and similar cartridges. In fact, Speer lists a max load for the 9mm Makarov at 8.0 grains. The Mak has a working pressure max of 24,100psi while the 9mm luger operates at a max of 35,000 psi, per Speer. This is interesting stuff, no?
grantman is offline   Reply With Quote