Thread: Uh-oh...
View Single Post
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #11
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

I'm glad this morning that no one has pointed out that I paid too much. It was somewhat of an emotional influence, because I've wanted something like this baaaad for quite a while. Spiffy ones are out of reach for me, so I was more than willing to accept this "fair" condition one since it is affordable to me.

The 1906 I had G.T. re-barrel for me initially looked like an old beater before I swapped grips and barrel. I remember that it had a certain appeal to me that way, but the slight makeover won out and I'm not sorry. But this one seems even more able to stand just the way it is, plus a little cleaning up, and I can shoot it!

This is the only item I bid on, and at low estimate, so I perceived it quite unlikely to come through and was well-surprised when the notification came in. Once again, the hammer price is equal to my max bid--which was through RIA's website, NOT Proxibid, which saves several points off the premium. I'm paying by check or M.O., so that saves another 2.5% compared to c.c. payment.

Rich, that thingie looked like a "counter" window to me, too, at first glance! Never got involved with the plusses; I set my limit, submit a proxy bid as early as possible, and like Ron Popeil would say, forget it! I shudder to think what would happen if I attended an auction for something I really wanted with a pocket full of cash! My system eliminates all the emotion in the bidding aspect of things except, of course, for that moment of submitting the bid.

One detail to which I must attend before it arrives is to get a replacement CC permit. Mine accompanied everything else in it as my wallet took a ride in the washer two weeks ago, and is pretty much papier mache'. The photo came detatched in the process and is blank! Mine is the last county in the state to change to laminated permits, and I hope the county clerk has straightened out their machine by now! It is puzzling that my driver's license, which shared the wallet pocket, was completely gone, and it was laminated!