View Single Post
Unread 03-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
roadkill1
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Alanint (Doug):

I have provided unit histories corresponding to unit marked Lugers in the past. Unfortunately, however, the research documents I have relate to regiments and their respective divisions. "Fuss-Artillery" or "Foot Artillery" equated to heavy artillery were considered Corps level units in the German Imperial Order of Battle until 1917. As a result, the traditional research process and reference books I use in developing unit histories will not work for their Fuss Artillery regiments.

I did do a quick review of all the German Imperial Corps Units order of battle and in particular, those from Bavaria, but did not note a Bavarian 1. Reserve Foot Artillery Regiment. I could well have overlooked it. Perhaps one of our forum members more familiar with Corps level organizations can identify which corps this battery, which would be II. battalion was assigned to. Once you have a Corps identification for the battery (II. Battalion), one could then research that corps to determine more of a traditional unit history for this Luger.

As an aside, the Germans called their heavy artillery, Fuss-Artillery because their gun crews assigned to these units walked on foot and did not ride on limbers, gun carriages or ammunition wagons during marches as did their gun crews assigned to their field artillery regiments that were typically assigned to divisions (and not corps).

Ron
roadkill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to roadkill1 for your post: