Thread: PX HK...?
View Single Post
Unread 08-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #14
Big Norm
RIP

Geez, I don't know if I should say something about a Luger that I have or just keep my stupidity to myself. A while back, I picked up 30 cal luger that looked pretty nice. It have no serial numbers on it, anywhere. Except for some engraving on it, a hooded front sight, import markings on the chamber and some fancy, hand carved wood grips, it is a pretty nice gun. The price was right, it had a nice Russian extractor and an original, numbered, wood bottom mag so I bought it.

Now I am wondering. On the Luger in question in this post, with the exception of a soldiers engraving on the side and the grips, what made anyone think that this was a Krieghoff? I hope that I am not coming across as challenging Johns judgement. But the grips could be repros. The solder could have pickd it up anywhere. John admits that the parts could have come out of a bin composed of parts from different Lugers. How many extraneous parts must a Luger have before its not a Krieghoff? What makes this gun worth a thousand bucks?

I am worried about posting this message. I could look pretty darn stupid given my respect for John and his knowledge. But since I have a Luger with no part numbers on it, my curiosity has been aroused.

When I saw this gun up for auction, I thought, 'thats a nice shooter'. But not a thousand dollar shooter. How could the guy possibly call it a Krieghoff?
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote