View Single Post
Unread 11-07-2022, 09:05 PM   #13
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,136 Times in 376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Non-FFL holders are basically screwed out of economical shipping. It's not allowed at all via USPS, and both FedEx and UPS insist on overnight shipping, which was around eighty bucks last time I checked,

With an FFL, guns can be shipped by registered mail, which can cost less than 1/4 of what the shipping services insist upon. I'm not sure what USPS allows with an 03 FFL (C&R), but if shipping privileges similar to 01 FFL are allowed by the postal service, individual states can disallow them, and a C&R will be useless. Too bad you live so far from a handy dealer.
They don't have to go Registered, unless the insurance value is over 5,000. USPS requires at least 600 insurance, or signature confirmation for firearms, your choice. Dealers fill out a Postal Form 1508 for the firearm packages they are shipping on a particular day. (Actually only required for handguns, but I do it for long guns also just to keep them from asking silly questions). That is handed to the clerk with the packages and the P.O. retains the form for a year. I've been using the Post Office to ship firearms for decades. I typically ship guns out at least once a week, sometimes two or three times a week, depending on sales. They all know me down there, so it goes pretty smoothly. I always label my boxes before I get there with prepaid labels from USPS.Com, so all they have to do is scan them in, and I'm out of there. They like to see me, because I've already done the work for them.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post: