View Single Post
Unread 04-07-2002, 09:44 PM   #8
bill m
User

Default Next Point

The possibility due to transition brings up the next point. It has been discussed repeatedly here that there was no set pattern as to production and use of parts -- I believe it was stated many times by some that "first in was not necessary first out". -- In my opinion this statement is not correct. There was a transition period with each change and this is when you find the odd configurations -- not before or not after. For instance, the Mauser "bump", or the sharpe barrel band, or change from strawed to blued small parts. The 1936 S/42 is a good example of the sharpe barrel band. The G-dates all had the sharpe barrel band and only the very early 1936's. There is a very short transition period where you find all this -- not thousands of Lugers later. These transition periods show that Lugers were made fairly close to the "first in, first out" concept. Otherwise you would have transition Lugers all throughout the production of each variation, which is just not the case and can be proven as such. Sometimes I get the feeling no one wants to hear about serial numbers or data, but there is still a lot to be learned about Lugers and the different variations, as it is not all in the books as some seem to think, and by recording serial numbers and their characteristics, we can record these transitions and improve our knowledge. I would encourage all when posting to give the entire serial number of their Luger, as it is important for data and for correct information.