View Single Post
Unread 06-10-2002, 08:20 PM   #18
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,098 Times in 1,676 Posts
Albert
Thank you for allowing the use of your photos. I think we all envy the fact that you had the opportunity to handle and photograph these fabulous weapons!
Based on your description of Serial #26, I am convinced that even though it may have been delivered to England in 1901, it is indeed an 1899 pre-production example. Six of the pre-production Swiss test pieces were delivered to England for their tests. That explains the Swiss Cross in Sunburst on #26 even though it was subject to the English trial. All of the other features you described have been attributed to the 1899 configuration, to include the strawed sear bar. I do not know if you also photographed the top of #26, but if you did, you might examine it for one other feature. The rear toggle link has a T-shaped configuration. The "top" of the T is narrower on the pre-production pieces than the 1900 toggle. I do not have a pre-production example to photograph (darn! [img]frown.gif[/img] ) but I have "doctored" a 1900 toggle to show the difference. I hope I am succesful in posting it.