View Single Post
Unread 12-11-2022, 06:52 PM   #6
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Andrew,

I write as an amateur with limited knowledge, not as an expert, however, it seems to me that the writing on the stock of your arty is not likely to identify the German soldier to which it was issued, or to have been applied by a German armorer. There is no evidence that I know of to document this practice (other more knowledgeable forum members may correct me). On the other hand, there are innumerable examples of such writing applied by allied soldiers to captured arms, holsters, etc.

I see from your photos a number 2267 (the 7 does not appear to be crossed in European fashion) but no indication of this being a regimental number. I also see a number 46 followed by what might be "Batt," but this is unclear from the photo (of course this might be more legible in person). If it is indeed "Batt" it could abbreviate "battery" in German or in English, or perhaps "battalion" in English.

If I had this Luger I would also pursue the information written on the stock, but I would direct my efforts to identifying an allied soldier, or in your example, an ANZAC unit. Surely there are Australians with German-sounding names. I am an American but I have a very German name.

Karl

Last edited by Karl; 12-11-2022 at 06:56 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to Karl for your post: