View Single Post
Unread 12-07-2001, 07:04 PM   #7
Marvin
User

Default Re: Just from an engineering standpoint Ed,

John,

Good points you make from an engineering standpoint. Since I am not home to check, I seem to remember that in Gortz's book "Die Pistole 08", there is a comparison of the steels and heat treatment of the DWM and Mauser Lugers. Now, without the standards to compare the comparabable steels, it is difficult to prove which steel/heat treatment is better. I do have a book at my office which compares the Eureopean steels with US steel, so I can't help with proof currently.

I do remember that the frame is heat treated to a higher Rc hardness on Mauser steel than the DWM steels. What this does, is allow the wear on steel surfaces to be less. If the heat treat was too hard, the frame would be suseptable to "breaking" under stress. The DWM pistols were not as hard and the "wear" surfaces can wear at a faster rate. This softer steel will allow more "stretch" before the stress limit is met. In my opinion, either steel/heat treatment will work, but Mauser was probably able to use a better steel and maybe processing was easier, and provide a more durable handgun.

Marvin