View Single Post
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #44
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
The key hangup to concluding that all of the blank toggle 29 DWMs were originally manufactured for export to the Riff Tribe is the apparent inconsistency between August Weiss' reference to a "paar Tausend" which can be understood as either a "few thousand" or a "couple of thousand" and the evidence that approximately 15,000 blank toggle Lugers were produced by DWM/BKIW in the late 1920s. Dwight, some years ago you felt the Riff contract was for 2,500 pistols which is consistent with Weiss' recollection (http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=4937). Have you found new information?
In 2004, with the publications at the time, that was the estimated production. A lot of information has come under the bridge since then, including August Weiss's comment.

I come down on the side of Herr Weiss's comment that he means "a few thousand." I can't help but think that if he meant 2,000 guns, he would have said "zwei Tausend," but that is my inductive reasoning.

Much of the information in Kenyon is obsolete. I tend toward scepticism of extrapolating production numbers based on reported samples. On the current topic, in the absence of documentation, I simply do not believe the 15,000 figure.

Joop,

In his diary, does Herr Weiss write "das Paar", or "ein paar"?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is online now   Reply With Quote