Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Silly question: What makes it an " Alphabet" model?
This was the phrase that Jan Still made up, as it made more sense than the old 1920 commericial...

An alphabet luger is one with serial number and suffix like a military model from WW1, i.e. there is serials from (for example) 1966l (small L) to 1966u ; then production started with Mauser and they started the G & and then the K dates, then the 1936 dates, etc.

There were also 5 digit lugers made for the commercial market made at the same time.

Alphabet lugers are generally considered to be military and police; you have to be aware that WW1 had suffixes too and you must look close at them for proofs etc to determine which is which....

I should add this explanation to the FAQ, this is what is there now (a quick look by me)
Quote:
41. All Comercial model Lugers up to the end of the war in 1918 had 5-digit serial# and lazy c/N proofs. Production ended around sn74722.

Late 1919 Commercial production started again, continuing the 5-digit serial numbering beginning around 74745. Guns have upright c/N proof. This is new designation 1920 DWM (formerly 1923 Commercial).

Mid-1921 the commercial serial# series reached 92000. DWM converted commercial production to the military convention of numbering, four digits with letter suffix. Numbering began with letter suffix i , guns have upright c/N proofs. This is new designation Alphabet Commercial (formerly 1920 Commercial). (Not all sources agree with Still about the changeover beginning at serial# 92000.)

1929 DWM production began the move to Mauser. Serial# suffixes s, t, u are produced this year under disputed circumstances. This is new designation 29 DWM (formerly Sneak).

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post: