View Single Post
Unread 11-21-2005, 11:27 AM   #17
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi John D.,

I looked at your 1938 HK photos in the Member Gallery...

1. This is a side photo of your piece. The acceptance stamps appear to me quite well struck and deep.

2. The top of your toggle has some sanding lines...just not as pronounced as on Tom's piece. Tom's toggle seem to show sanding lines in only one direction. From you photo, it appears your toggle's sanding pattern seems to change direction at the two little rounded sections that engaged with the breechblock. Tom's does not. Cannot be sure from the resolution of your photo...though.

3. The front of your HK has a contoured radius between the transition from the front of the frame to the trigger guard. Tom's luger has a "flat" section/transition and taken with the lack of depth of some numbers and the bluing in the 2 deep dents, I thought some of Tom's luger may have been redone.

I have seen only a handful of HK's in person...did not know one would not see an bulging of the number stamps on the front of frame. If I recall, Gibson does not show any/many photos of the fronts of frames of the military run of HK's.. Thanks for the tip. My # 2122 S-code has well defined numbers struck and you can see the "bevel" inside each number cut. Mine does not show any bulging but there is a minor high spot or two left from the finishing on the gun...but definitely not bulging.

One final set of questions...Is it very rare to have a 1938 without a barrel serial number ? Have you tracked 1938's with and without numbers on the barrel ? Your piece has the barrel serialled; Tom's does not.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote