View Single Post
Unread 04-17-2002, 12:12 PM   #13
Wm. "Pete" Ebbink

Default Erfurst Or Not...?

Interesting how three topics are running in the same thread (my BW and its markings, the time for C&R's to be issued, and Tom Collin's question about his BW...) Back to my BW markings :

BCC;

1. If you go to my previous post where I posted 6 photos of my BW, take a look at photo # 6. On the barrel closest to frame is the mark in question. I would describe it as a "crown with a roman numberal below that is inclosed in a circle".

2. I went through my 8 lugers books and could only find one photo of this mark. It is in the Michael Reese book (Luger Tips, revised) on page 55. The mark in question is shown on the lower, left-hand photo on page 55 of the Reese book.

3. I made the assumption this Mark on page 55 of the Reese book and on my luger was an "Erfurt" mark because the photo is presented along text on the page were Reese is discussing Erfurt lugers. My assumption that the markings (5 total on my BW) are Erfurt could be wrong on my part.

4. The only thing I know is that the 5 markings all over my BW are identical to the mark Reese is showing on his page 55. And I am pretty sure these 5 marks are the "oldest" marks on the BW...

5. Suporting the argument that these marks are not Erfurt is the fact that one of these marks is on the right side of my frame opposite the thumb safety location. Then if you look at the other photos I have posted on the Forum of my BW, it clearly shows a Mauser frame with the rear bump feature behind the toggle assembly. Logic would dictate that a Mauser frame with a rear bump could not have historical Erfurt markings on that frame...

6. Assuming these Marks on my BW are not Erfurt, I am still challenged to find out what these marks are...so my little BW mystery continues...

Finally, for those of you who might be wondering why I just do not return this BW luger to the seller :

I love this luger !!! When I took it out of the box, I immediatley knew this BW was a bit different with its non-typical markings.

I made the decision that this luger is a "test" for me to find out all I can about where it has been. I would never consider returning this BW; regardless of the answers I eventually will discover.

It may take me some time to get to the bottom of these markings and their history. I will remian optimistic that the BW's markings in quesiton are authentic and will turn up with an historically correct explanation. If I discover the BW has some markings that do not belong, so be it. I am an adult and made an adult decision about my purchase.

The price of the BW is worth this challenge and what I can learn about my luger, myself, and other luger enthusiasts in the process.