Thread: Mitchell Luger
View Single Post
Unread 03-23-2006, 01:20 AM   #17
shadow
User

I did follow Johnâ??s advice and did find some burrs that were causing the extractor to stay up. I noticed if the action was closed and I pushed down on the back of the extractor, behind the pivot pin, then let go, the front of the extractor would stay up until I pushed it back down. Upon further investigation I found several things were causing this. First I found a metal chip in the extractor recess on the thread line where the barrel mates with the receiver. I removed the chip with a brass flat head screwdriver and the extractor moved more freely but it was still scraping somewhere when the action was closed.

I took a black sharpie marker and coated the extractor with black ink, closed the action and rocked the extractor about a dozen times to cause scrape marks in the black ink. Then I took a dremel with a small polishing pad and no compound and polished the high spots that were scraping. After some time of slowly polishing and rechecking, the extractor no longer binds or scrapes. I did not appear to remove any metal from the extractor but only needed to soften a couple of edges on the side of the extractor. I did not go near the part of the extractor that contacts the shell case.

After this I thoroughly cleaned the gun and oiled it and reassembled it. I put 5 snap caps in the magazine and cycled the action as fast as I could by hand by pulling back quickly and letting the toggles snap out of my fingers as my hand continued backwards. The action ejected and fed the snap caps flawlessly. I did this for at least 50 rounds then stopped when my fingers were too sore to continue cycling the action quickly by hand. This seems promising but I still wonâ??t know if it solved the problem until I get a chance to actually shoot the gun again.

If this does not solve the problem I will focus on the ding on the bottom of the breechblock face. No�«l and Steve could you please examine the breechblock face on your Mitchell Lugers to see if they appear to have the same ding on the bottom as mine does. If possible could you post photos of the breechblock face and bottom?

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks again for the great advice and support.

Chris
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote