View Single Post
Unread 10-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

As a very long time moderator, and sometimes webmaster for this site, I would have to say that The Lugerforum doesn't as a policy limit freedom of speech unless that speech, or in this case text, is intentionally intended to offend someone or a group of someones...

The Forum Decorum document, drafted many years ago by Dok, our webmaster emeritus, and approved by what was at that time generally considered the "Board" (a non-public body of members who guided the content and direction taken by this forum, is still valid... while general in nature, it does define what is considered inappropriate behavior on this forum.

As most who frequent this forum are well aware, I have never made any secret of or about my faith... but when I mention it in public, including on this forum, it is never done to incense others... but rather a call to others who believe as I do, to respond to a specific request for prayer... it is always done in the General Discussion Forum... where non-Lugerforum topics are and can be discussed, provided they are not intended to be derogatory or intentionally offensive.

FLAMES of any type are not permitted on this forum... but an expression of one's beliefs are not a flame...

My own signature block is a direct quote from a document I am sure you all recognize... this quote embodies my personal philosophy about life and how it came to be... it is not a call-out as described by Jack above, and I can't consider the "god is only pretend" line to be either...

My personal opinion on the above signature line is quite different from the one I have and enforce with my Moderator hat on... IMNSHO, if you can't look around yourself and see the evidence of a Creator, you are not looking very hard... but that is YOUR choice... I would encourage you to look further at the evidence... and ask questions of those who don't believe as you do... you just might be missing something.

So in closing, despite my personal concern about what the signature line says, I can not see where the forum decorum has been violated...Anyone who disagrees is welcome to contact me off-line via PM, to discuss the matter.

I also feel that Ron Wood could not have said it more eloquently... ignore those feelings and sentiments of those with whom you disagree... Kudos to you Ron... Your level-headedness is just one of the many reasons you are a moderator on this board... I hope you always keep this site as your internet home...

In a similar vein, for anyone who REALLY believes that life is the result of complete randomness and ends in a slow ride in a hearse... I welcome your personal contact and a cordial discussion on a personal level about the differences in our philosophy... and the bases of our individual belief systems...

... and Jack... I absolutely love your line ... "Athiests are DEAD wrong!"

NOTE: This post has been edited by me to emphasize (in bold type) that the invitation for personal contact was meant to convey off-line via PM or email and not on the forum because there is no need to involve anyone in the discussion except those that have a direct interest in the matter. - thanks, John Sabato

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."