View Single Post
Unread 11-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinmi View Post
I did not know about lugs being ground off because of the possibility of being a SBR. That is too bad.
Actually, the grinding of stock lugs began when the 1934 National Firearms Act was passed and it was forbidden to attach a shoulder stock to a handgun. My father and I discussed this back in the mid 1950's.

People misunderstood the law and thought that the stock lug, even if they didn't own a stock, made the gun illegal. I once owned a commercial alphabet Luger with a ground the stock lug. It was simply ignorance on the part of the gun's previous owner.

When I was 16 and in high school, I wrote a letter to the BATF asking about the paperwork necessary to own a C-96 Mauser and the shoulder stock. My father and I already had the gun and I knew who had a stock. Two FBI agents showed up at my father's workplace and he explained that I had written the letter which they found hard to believe. They then drove to my school and I was called out of class to the Principal's office where a very nervous Principal and VP were waiting with the two agents. They explained that I was too young to file the paperwork and that was that. I still own the C-96 more than 60 years later.

Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post: