View Single Post
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:29 PM   #13
Terry A de C Foley

Default Re: British Markings: Do they lower the value of the Luger?

Dear All - there is one aspect of all this that seems to have escaped you, and that is that a large number of handguns of all kinds, Lugers included, managed to escape the massacre of our handguns in 1997/8. Those who had the ability to send their handguns out of UK before the ban may have unwittingly contributed to the fund of the comparatively large numbers of British proof marked Lugers now appearing in your market places. Regard these weapons with a certain reverence, if you please, like the drowning man throwing his children onto the lifeboat. After over 30 years I could not bear to be parted from seven of my guns - they are in the drawer beside me as I write this note, imagine how one collector, and Mr Shattuck must know who he is, who had 1800 Lugers to be destroyed unless he got them to the good old USA.... these British proofed Lugers have a history to them that I would not wish on any of you, a history of the desperation of a lame government and its knee-jerk reaction. These Lugers were our children, if you like to think of them like that, saved from destruction. Now they are yours. Take good care of them.

TF