Unread 08-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
The only issue I see with using these for an Artillery Luger barrel project is the OEM sight for the Artillery Model when elevated moves the rear sight UP and to the LEFT at the same time, to compensate for muzzle whip and rifling affect on the bullets. These sights would only go UP when elevated, unless I am mistaken... Could they be modified to function similar to a genuine Luger artillery rear sight?
This thread was originally a companion to an "Alternative Artillery Barrel Fabrication" thread...Posted back in '09...

This Mauser rifle sight is not a replacement for the Luger artillery rear sight. It could possibly be shortened and a custom-machined & dovetailed base be made for it (like below) but the short answer is that as is it won't 'spiral up' when elevated. It won't fit the Luger sight base either, without a lot of milling.

Here's a comparison pic -

The left sight is a Sarco repro artillery rear sight on a Sarco repro artillery barrel; middle sight is a shortened FN M24/30 Carbine rear sight on a home-build [integral base] artillery barrel; right sight is the Chilean 1895 Short Rifle sight I just got in.

Now...If you shortened an FN M24/30 sight 'ladder' (I don't know the name for the graduated part) you could cross-drill it at an angle to mimic the Luger 'spiral up' action...You'd have to drill the base to match. The Mauser sight 'ladders' are wider than the Luger base so a custom base would be necessary. That base could be milled & dovetailed to sit in the Luger artillery dovetail with the sight sitting on top of the Luger dovetail. Your front sight blade would need to be higher too.

So...It's possible. Lots of variations could be done.

But it's a lot simpler to just pop it on a C96 to replace a stripped Mauser sight ladder. (It's dimensionally the same). Cheaper too.

Last edited by sheepherder; 08-11-2014 at 06:11 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote