View Single Post
Unread 03-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #67
m1903a3
User

Jack: I understand why you want to cling to the idea that your stock is real. Been there, done that. But it isn't and wishing and hoping isn't going to change it.

Norm is one of the most respected and knowlegeable Navy collectors on the planet, keeper of The Navy List, prominent auctions houses have gone to him to authenticate Navy Lugers. Jerry is the foremost expert in Luger holsters, the guy we all turn to for his knowlege. As part of that he has extensive knowlege of the Navy (and Artillery) stocks. George, as a dealer, has probably sold hundreds of legitimate stocks and handled thousands of them.

Yet you cannot seen to accept their opinions.

While I'm not in their league, I have spent a great deal of time studying the German Navy pistols and accessories and building a comprehensive collection Navy Lugers and accessories.

I have offered specific reasons why your stock in not correct. While everyone has told you the brass disc in incorrect, you continue to cling to an unfortunate error in the great Sturgess books.

You refuse to accept that the wood is wrong, searching for some support for an explanation that doesn't exist. They were walnut. Full stop. There are plenty of real ones from the end of production in 1917, many never issued, all of which are walnut.

I gave other reasons, ignoring the disc and wood, of why your stock is not an original. You haven't responded to them, so I'll remind you:

The radius of the arc where the wood is recessed for the nose of the holster is too large on your stock. Real ones have a noticably smaller arc, almost a full half circle. Compare yours on the left to a real one on the right. Look at the photos of real ones already posted.

The curves at the heel and toe of your stock are too large. Real ones have a very square appearance with only a small round off.

Again, yours on the left.

Finally, others pointed out the problem with your screws. Yours are typical of what is seen in replica stocks. Here is yours compared to a real one. Yours on top.

These are significant differences. There are others, but these are more than sufficiant to demonstrate the stock is a replica.
Attached Images

Si vis pacem, para bellum
m1903a3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to m1903a3 for your post: