View Single Post
Unread 12-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #10
HisSoldier
User

It seemed to me, and still does, that the 1970's safety (The only ones I've examined) are clunky not only because they can pinch the flesh of the hand but also in the way they work.
When the manual safety is off it simply stays out of the way of the grip safety. When you apply the manual safety it prevents the grip safety from pushing forward.
So, if you apply your grip to the grip safety with the manual safety inadvertently on you have to release pressure (IIRC) to release the grip safety.
So far not too bad because you have to open your hand slightly to push the manual safety down (covering "Safety" in German) in order to allow the manual safety to block it, in other words, you have to open your grip pressure to allow the manual safety to be pushed down and off.

OTH if you have the GS off and desire to apply it you have to release pressure from the GS entirely to allow the manual safety to go up to the safety on position. I felt it was a quick lawyer fix that could be said in court to be effective while not being natural in use.

So just now I went to my other example and the safety use seems pretty natural, if you draw the gun to use it and the safety is on you know it immediately because your hand cannot close all the way properly, and reaching your thumb up to pull it down automatically releases the grip safety.

Still, it's not like a 1911 safety which is independent of the manual safety.

On the altered pistol when the manual safety is "ON" (Sear covered, lever down (German word "Safe" covered unfortunately) it's safe, with the lever up is off and the sear is unblocked and "Safe" shows. To see it clearly see the top photo of my earlier post.

I reasoned that as my personal shooter the German word for safe had no meaning to me.