Thread: Aircrew Pistols
View Single Post
Unread 04-16-2002, 07:47 PM   #4
Aaron
Banned

Default Re: Yes, please relate the story on your acquisiti

Yes, my Enfield is a snub nose type. As for the 1911A1, I was browsing in a large local gunshop, when I noticed an elderly gentleman and his wife showing a gun over the counter to one of the employees. The couple was standing with their backs to me, but I could clearly hear the conversation, because as a retired naval officer I have good hearing (not so with my Marine Corps buddies). The old man was saying he didn't want to sell the gun, as he carried it on all of his B-24 missions, but he was curious as to its value. He also said he didn't have any children or relatives to pass it on to. The employee told him it was worth $650 to $700, and they went on talking, so I left the store. I kind of hung around the parking lot, spending a few minutes walking my old whippet, intending to strike up a conversation with the couple when they came out. Finally they emerged from the store, and my jaw dropped when I recognized the old man as a flying pal of mine for the last 20 years! We greeted each other warmly, and he told me all about how he was issued the weapon, fired it twice, then carried it all through the war. The condition was 99%, showing only minute holster wear. I asked him if he would consider placing the gun in the possession of a collector, telling him that it would go into a museum exhibit with a history of its owner. He turned white, and told me he was frightened to sell it, since it was issued to him and it could be traced back and get him in trouble! As a matter of fact, for 57 years he had worried over it, and many times was on the brink of turning it in to the federal government! It took me the better part of an hour to convince him that no records exist connecting him to the weapon, and that he could freely and legally dispose of it. Now I have the gun and we are compiling documents and photos to go along with it. Just goes to show that if you know any WWII veterans you should always ask them about their war souvenirs. It just never occurred to me that a bomber pilot would still have his original collectible pistol!