Thread: 1902 Carbine
View Single Post
Unread 01-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #43
Navy
RIP

All,

Based on the way this thread is leading, I am inclined to agree with my friend Albert. It doesn't seem possible, due mostly to physics, that a carbine could have been originally manufactured in 9MM for a very simple reason: it would not function reliably.

A much more reasonable explanation seems to be that some enterprising souls decided to create some 9MM carbines, mark them with very well executed approximations of the right proofs, and then peddle them to well heeled but not so well informed customers. The simple fact that the 9MM Parabellum cartridge lacks the kinetic energy to reliably cycle a carbine action-coupled with the fact that neither the 9MM +P nor the 9MM Mauser Export round was available contemporary to these guns -seem to lead one to an inevitable conclusion: it ain't real. Has anyone some experience in shooting a carbine in 9MM?

I would be *very* interested in how many stoppages or failures to feed occurred in a string of 50-100 rounds. I suspect any results would bolster Albert's and now my view.

When I first started with Lugers in 1962, my mentor, the late Bob Young, told me, "Kid, any Luger that requires an alabi or explanation probably ain't right; don't buy the story; buy the gun. It is right or it ain't.".

These 9MM carbines require too many alabis, ergo, I think that sage advice is applicable here.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote