View Single Post
Unread 09-13-2021, 12:26 AM   #42
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
I did see that post, thank you. I also read post #23, that reports that with the hold open removed it 'stays the same'. A Luger that locks open with no hold-open I find astounding. I feel I have at least a working knowledge of Luger operation and can think of no scenario that would permit a Luger to lock open with no hold open present. Hence my request for a description of what exactly "sticks open" means.

I can't lose by asking this question. If the OP advises that indeed the pistol is locking open with no hold open in the gun, I will have learned something. If he advises the toggle is doing something short of locking open, we will have valuable clarification and be able to better assist.
Yes. When the problem became pretty bad a few weeks ago, I originally thought the hold open spring or something was bad. While I was at the range, I took it apart and completely removed the hold open, spring and all.

The toggle takes a little effort to pull back and when I get it back, it stays there, almost as if there's binding. The problem is relatively recent, so I'm not sure what to make of it, but GT sent me some test parts to eliminate some possibilities.

If I pull the bolt partially back, then it will usually return to battery, but many times, if I pull the toggle PARTIALLY back, say about 2/3 or 3/4, it will go ALMOST all the way home; ie it will leave the action open, ie about a 1/4 inch between the bolt face and the chamber with the toggle up between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.

For your edification, I have learned, and had it reinforced, that Lugers that are rebarreled as mine has been, sometimes get the forks bent just a hair and it would cause the issue. The rebarreling of this one happened over 6 years ago, so I'm doubtful of the idea this is the issue, but at this point, I'm open to whatever it may be.

I'm as absolutely curious now as everyone else. I'd like my baby back in shooting condition.

I just got off my reserve weekend this evening, so perhaps tomorrow afternoon after work, I'm going to set about doing some testing.
Military Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote