View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hello Michael, and welcome to the forum.

I collect and very much respect the attention that the Swiss apply to their Luger manufacture.

The valuation of Swiss Lugers reflects the demand and supply. There has been a fairly steady supply over the years, and the demand has been less than for German military pistols. It may relate to them being in .30 Luger caliber.

Most have been arsenal refurbished at some point, and this is not considered so much of a defect or devaluation factor. Many were specifically redone when the officer that bought their service pistol retired.

I'm not sure what a "fat barrel" Swiss Luger is. They all have more tapered barrels partially due to their caliber. Bobba published a well illustrated book on Swiss Lugers a few years ago, but I believe it's out of print now. It is in Italian and English and needs some update and correction at this point.

Most Swiss Lugers entered the USA after 1968, and so will have import marks. It's quite more unusual to find one without a mark. Many came in while they could still be marked under grips and in less visible places.

The M1929 is a particularly high precision pistol, made in Bern but made from parts sourced form SIG. The earlier models appear similar to the German military pistols with longer tapered barrels.

These were made for a nation of target shooters, and their precision reflects this.