View Single Post
Unread 11-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #33
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default pressure relief

Hi to all, although rare, I have had a few encounters with both over pressure, and pierced primer gas leaks with lugers, which occurred over the last 20 plus years when GT Specialties really started to ramp up luger repairs!! First the firing pin gas relief issue. I have had several pierced primers both due to excessive headspace, and/or a corroded firing pin tip. A famous pro football coach once called a ref over to his sideline during the game and said to him, "do you know what NFL stands for?" he quickly followed it up with, "not for long, for you or me you keep making calls like that!"
The same holds true with the pierced primer / gas relief... Regardless of the pin style, you have approximately 2 or 3 more round to shoot, and all is going to give up into a big pile of useless gun parts! First, the breechblock extractor supports on either side of the extractor lift, then very shortly after, the firing pin drives the retainer out the back of the breechblock, and with that, game over? Now, too stiff of a load, causes other failures, I have had broken receiver pins and also broken (in half) firing pins... plus it just beats a probably already beat luger to death... On every range trip (with different guns!) I check the primer on the first shot... it can tell you a lot, and save you a lot as well.... best to all, til.....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: