View Single Post
Unread 10-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
sambuscemi
User

Chuckc: I do it all the time. You must declare the weapon at check in (be slow and precise in your declaration and explain that it is an antique firearm) and be prepare to make it available for inspection if asked. In most cases they are curious to see an old weapon especially a luger. It must be out of battery and open with the magazine removed from the gun. Some airlines may ask you to break it down if possible and separate the receiver from the rest of the gun and check them in their own individual hard cases. Ammo must not be in with the gun. The case or cases must be of the hard case variety with a lock and it is usually a good idea be to have an additional lock like a master lock also preventing the case/cases from being opened - this lock can be wrapped around the handle. It would be a good idea to bring the extra hard case even if never used to be on the save side if asked to break the luger apart. You will sign a document that says the gun is unloaded and out of battery and accept all responsibility for its transport. This document will then be put in the case and you will lock it and it will be checked with your other luggage. Usually I put it into another suitcase that have my clothes packed within. There is nothing on the outside of your luggage that states or suggests there is a gun inside. Once checked, it will arrive at your destination and you will pick it up just like you would your ordinary luggage and no one will be the wiser. Make sure you have the registration for the weapon to prove that it is yours also. You can not transport a weapon that is not yours. As far as insurance goes that is between you and your insurance company as far as I know. Airlines do not provide insurance for the transportation of weapons last time I asked. By the way the rules for transporting a weapon have not really changed even since 9/11 just more observation of the law and adhering to the details of the law. Nothing lax today. They actually now check all the details in every declaration to the letter of the law. There were many instances where inspections were rare - just sign the document , stick it in the case, check it in and pick it up at your destination. Nothing that easy any more. Same procedure just alot of eyes watching to make sure everything is perfect and to the letter of the law. Hope this helps.
sambuscemi is offline   Reply With Quote