View Single Post
Unread 05-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Paolo passed along some frame reinforcement/number data, they have been transcribed into the data list in the first post--thanks very much.

Paolo has also offered a couple of interesting thoughts concerning other modifications surrounding the implementation of the LP-08. When the LP-08 was introduced, the problem had to be solved of making the two guns with different mass firing trains work with the same ammunition--ammuntion altererd to be proper for the LP guns would be too powerful for the standard 4" barrel Luger. Since the ammunition was not changed, some other accommodation needed to be made.

He has observed that a new, weaker recoil spring was instituted along with the LP-08 design: smaller diameter wire and more coils, to allow the LP-08 to function properly. The strengthening of the rear frame was necessary at that point, to counter the heavier impact on it from the rear toggle tail.

He has observed that the difference can be felt in comparing the "feel" of operating the toggle of a pre- and post-1914 Luger. I have checked my Imperial military Lugers for this, and I believe that I can feel the difference, but I don't have very many samples, particularly around the changeover years.

It would be interesting if other correspondents here would check theirs in a similar manner. If anyone will go so far as to check the recoil springs in the first-post data group for spring diameter and number of coils, I will include the information.

Paolo has also suggests checking DWM-manufactured 1906 Swiss Lugers for strengthened rear frames. Since the last Swiss contract was fulfilled mid-1914, a change in frame production might be noted somewhere in the last 1,500 guns of this contract run. If anyone who has Swiss Lugers in the 13701-15215 will check their guns for reinforced rear frames and report them here, I'll add this category to the database. This is beginningto shape up as a potentially revealing aspect of Luger production.

Thanks again to Paolo for these observations, and to everyone else who follows up on this as well.

--Dwight