View Single Post
Unread 08-31-2005, 09:41 AM   #8
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Norm!

Thanks!! If that auction post was any closer to where I was reading this thread - it would'a bitten me!! Thanks for the link - got it!!

OK - I will defer any of these comments to Doug's opinion on his personal inspection (I envy him!) but here is my $0.0002 based on what I think you mean...

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Norm
My serial number is P1259....
Yep - it puts it in the Late P code series 1. There are a hodge-podge of proofs and parts that may or may not be serialized in that variation. However, for your "Crown N" - is it vertical or horizontal? Also - on the right of the receiver - is there a "rejection star"?

(There is a reason I'm asking about the rejectioin star - as it would assist in determining why you may see a slight difference in the digit on the serial number.)

Quote:
...But the locking bolt has been roughly ground and not polished to make the flat look flat. ...
I'm not sure what you aren't seeing? A picture on this would be great - HOWEVER - not all P-Codes will have a locking bolt that is terribly well finished, and the grinding/polish looks "hand done" (well, they were )

Quote:
.....there are no serial numbers on the locking bolt, trigger, thumb safety and the rear of the toggle.....
On a P-Code, depending on whether it's a reject from the Military contract or "new production" sent to the commercial channel, is most probably correct. Remember, serialized small parts were entirely random on the later P-codes (S1)...

Quote:
....The last digit of the full serial number on both the front of the frame and the side seems to be ever so slightly smaller and not perfectly aligned. Almost like it was added later.....
Which again - is quite possible. However, these were hand struck, so they are typically never perfectly aligned. The digit intriques me a bit, though - as I'm unclear if you are saying that "9" is a different size - or rather, just not aligned? If there is a toggle link (underside) serialized number ("59"), you may want to compare the two...

Quote:
I....While there are legitimate proof marks on the under side of the barrel, there is no serial number. That feels odd for a guy who shoots primarily for WW1 Lugers.....
- while it may look strange to an Imperial Luger guy - it's probably correct and just fine..

Quote:
....The grips are identical to the one on Gun Broker. ....
Yep - they should be the course brown checkered grips...

Quote:
.... (I know, I know. I should have pictures.)
Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Best to you Big Norm!!

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote