Unread 05-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
... polyester, not so good, very little penetration and will fracture easily...
Gerry, I'm somewhat surprised to hear you say that. I've used Polyester Resin (with or without Fiberglas mat or cloth) to repair my wood [plywood/pine] boats, my 66 Corvette, even patch holes in gunstocks. I've found that with hardwood sawdust mixed in, it makes a good filler. I've even used it to repair drawers and wood boxes. In the few instances that I've ripped the bonded wood pieces apart, I've noticed that the resin does penetrate. And it was the wood that separated when I pried it apart.

I like my 'glue' to also fill. There will always be voids and dimples; with the resin I can go back later and fill in. And it can be ground, filed, sanded to a smooth finish. Some glues soften with heat (from sanding friction).

I'm not a firm believer in the Resin, which is why I asked here. It has drawbacks, but they can be worked with.

But it was not intended to be a wood adhesive. Surely there are better 'glues' out there. I've always been fascinated by the method used by the British to refurbish their old Enfield gunstocks (and even handguards). Patches; cracks milled out and wood chunks glued in; even broken stocks glued back together (and reinforced). Seems like the British re-used everthing wood. That is the glue I would prefer.

I'm not a woodworker. Even my woodworking reflects my mechanical background. I'll try the Titebond III from Home Depot on a couple pieces of gunstock scrap and see how it works.

BTW: The three boats that my father and I built back in the late 50's/early 60's can be found here -

http://www.svensons.com/boat/

"Car Top Boat", "MiniMost", and "Blue Streak"

We built them in our basement in the Winters, great experience. The Blue Streak was re-built by me a year after construction to move the cockpit further forward...To better handle the Mercury Mark 30 4-cyl I put on it to replace the 2-cyl Mark 25...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote