Thread: Lugers stolen
View Single Post
Unread 06-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

For awhile I've been considering an online collector database. This could be used to indicate what is known about a specific firearm (characteristics) including photographs, information like ownership (with some degree of privacy) and issues like theft.

This could help consolidate the multiple spreadsheets know being maintained, and keep the most current data always online and available to participants.

The system I'm visualizing would allow online interactive data entry and look-up, and permit reports to be created.

I know that the labor that has gone into researching the existing lists is huge - in many cases a life long effort. For that reason, many are considered proprietary.

I spent about 10 years of my work career in open technologies, and have some experience with the balance between sharing intellectual property, and protecting investment.

The benefits of pooling intellectual property can help raise the value to all participants, create new opportunities (like accurate theft tracking) and can help participants focus on areas of specialization.

If there is interest, I can start working on this effort with more focus...

Marc