View Single Post
Unread 04-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
Mrgunguy
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post

WATER? Is the WORST thing on Planet Earth to put on ANY vintage leather! WARM water is WORSE than WATER!!! Then direct sunlight? This would be like pouring SALT on a garden slug! DO NOT DO THIS!!! EVER!!!
First, let me be clear that I’ve never had any vintage leather that was moldy (perhaps I should have been more clear on that point). The only moldy holsters I’ve ever had were ones that got that way from being left wet to begin with, like during re-enactments or camping/hiking. And then I only use water enough to get the visible garbage off. I’m not soaking them in it for crying out loud.

Second, sunlight is an extremely effective natural method of killing mold (and viruses for that matter) so long as it’s not left out too long. About four hours or so is the usual and seems to do the trick. The acetone is minimal and just backs up what the sun did.

All of my old leather is kept in a dry, dark box in a closet. They never get mold, mildew or any other nastiness on them. If I have a holster that is valuable and in need of help, I send it to Jerry Burney.
Mrgunguy is offline   Reply With Quote