View Single Post
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
Mauser720
User

Don -

There are no footnotes or other authors cited for these statements.

However, they do have a translated facsimile of a very detailed order from the Prussian Minister of the Interior to the Regierungsprusident of Berlin, dated May 29, 1929, that all uniformed Landjager were to be re-armed with the P.08. "Marking of pistols will be refrained from until after publication of a new edition of the Arms and Ammunition Instruction."

Another translated facsimile of a letter dated May 23, 1931 from the Prussian Minister of the Interior states in part "As the '08 Pistol is an Army weapon which is not available commercially and which can not be obtained throught the Reichswehrministerium, I will interced to procure '08 Pistols."

The authors state: "In fact, however, the pistols in question were procured from BKIW, as becomes apparent from machining characteristics and from the complete absence of any Simson-related internal or external markings."

So these two letters, and their examination of the pistols, etc., seem to be the basis upon which Gortz & Sturgess base their findings.

Ed -

I know next to nothing about the "Riff Contract"; however, given the turmoil inside the country at the time, it does not seem unreasonable (in my opinion) that some within the government would have wanted to prevent supporting or dealing with Simson. However, I know you are the expert in the area of Simson and Simson Lugers.

Eric -

You can get this set of books at any of the usual sources, Simpsons, etc. I got mine from a seller on Ebay who was offering it at substantially less than the suggested retail price. I paid $318.75 plus shipping (I've forgotten what that was) using "Buy It Now" from this Ebay seller: blradiolabs

Last edited by Mauser720; 01-22-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: To correct year of first order mentiion in this post
Mauser720 is offline   Reply With Quote