View Single Post
Unread 07-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #9
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k38 View Post
Hello,

Picked up a 1920 alphabet commercial, made I believe in 1924. I realize that these guns are not particularly desirable to collectors, but I wanted a luger I could shoot and that looked good. I considered a 1970's Mauser for a while, but then decided I wanted an older one. I must say, despite the low regard collectors have for the 1920's, this is a beautiful gun: numbers match, the fit and finish is outstanding (real deutsche Wirksamkeit). I've fired the gun and everything works perfectly.

The only fly in the ointment is the very heavy trigger. I've been spoiled, admittedly, by bullseye pistols and fine single action pulls on DA revolvers, but this seems quite heavy. Is this typical of lugers?

At any rate, very very cool gun and most likely not my last luger.

Bill
Congrats on your luger, you are correct that the "1920"s are finely made lugers.

I disagree that they are not desirable to collectors, I suspect most luger collectors have at least one. Most are likely satisfied with one example, unlike the military models of which there seems no end of variation. JMHO.

There are plenty of them in good shape and they make good shooters, if you can deal with the cost of the usual .30 ammo or like to load you own.

With respect to your luger, the trigger can be improved- but it may involve some new parts and expertise, which won't be cheap.
I would contact "lugerdoc" on this forum for his input and advice.
Even a great luger trigger is not likely to compare favorably with the pistols you mentioned!
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post: