View Single Post
Unread 12-08-2005, 03:50 AM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Alamar,
welcome to the forum. You have a lot to learn about Lugers but you will learn a lot of this forum.If this is your first artillery luger or luger, then you have made a righteous purchase. Your pictures were decent but I can see something that tells me that it hasn't been monkeyed with. That thing is what is called the 'Locking Bolt'. The 'Locking Bolt' is the leaver on the left hand side of the gun just above the trigger. That leaver holds the frame to te receiver. The flat surface on that leaver looks flat and not rounded. That is the way it is supposed to look if some jerk didn't restraw it.

The serial numbers start at "1" for the first military contract for that year and will increase by one until 9,999 is passed OR until that milary contract with the factory is completed. If that miltary contract was completed, then when the next contract will have the next contracts serial number start at '1a' and the numbering process of serial numbering the guns will begin anew with the 'a' suffix. If the contract completion was for more than 9,999 guns, then the 'a' suffix would be added and the number would begin with '1a'. The 1917 artillery was a specification transition year for artilleries. Sometime during that manufacture year, the adjusting screws on the front and rear and rear screws were eliminated.

The serial numbers under the barrel and on the front of the frame should have the same serial number. If there is a small cap after the serial number on the frame then it should also be on the underside of the barrel. The "8.82" that you see under the serial numbers is a measurment of the bore of the barrel at the time of maufacture and is not part of the serial number. The mark on the side of the barrel is an eagle and its a proof mark that indicates that the barrel was inspected and approved by the manufacturer (DWM).

The four marks on the right side indicates that this gun passed four different inspections during testing. On some Lugers, you will find fewer than four or sometimes five marks there. That means that the gun failed inspection and was sold on the open market to military personal for a personal side arm.

From what I can see of your pictures, your artillery looks just fine and may very well be in the 90%+ range. I cannot tell about the strawing percentile from the pictures. Closer pictures of the serial numbers and proof marks would be needed to really tell if if has been monkeyed with. But it looks very nice.

The grips look very nice. Be VERY, VERY (emphasis added) careful taking the feft hand grip off. Carelessness can cause a small chip to break off up near the thumb safety. This is often referred to as the million dollar chip because some collectors would offer a million dollars if they could find a way to repair it on an original, numbered to the gun grip. The wood on these old grips is quite brittle and they break easily. Probably the best way to take the left grip off is to remove the right grip first and then push the left grip off from the inside at near the base.

Do not put gun oil on the grips. It will cause them to blacken and their deteriation will begin. If you want to darken them, do it by using a walnut stain. The grips should have a two digit serial number on the underside, but don't be totally surprised if its not there or if there is a different number there. These guns are prety old and a number of people have handled them.

Your snail drum is a nice type '2' magazine. The serial number doesn't mean diddily. Your shoulder stock is hard to see because of the photo glare. An authentic stock would have a proof mark just under the four screws on the left side. It would look simular to the horse on a chess board at first glance. I can't see it. The wood looks in to-good a condition for a ninety year old stock. MAYBE the original stock was broken and someone replaced it with new wood. But I am just guessing.

Your one holster looks good, from what little that I can tell, and the date and manufacturer marking sounds good. I have seen manufacturing markings all over the holsters. The washers and the screws look new. If they were original, they would be very tarnished. The buttons on the shoulder staps also look new. But it is difficult to tell from the pictures. The difference in the color of the leather (particularly the shoulder straps) suggests that this is a put together rig. I can only guess at how much of it is original.

As for price, I would estimate that this rig is worth about $5.00. But I will offer $7.50 plus $20.00 for shipping and handling since you are such a nice gentleman.

I hope this helps. I my one finger is getting tired and its past my bedtime so I will leave further comments and intellectual glory to other experts on this forum.
Big Norm Z-Z-Z-Z
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote