View Single Post
Unread 07-09-2001, 10:57 AM   #20
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: NOW NOW GENTLE PEOPLE

Johnny,

I agree with you to a point. The original contribution to this thread was by two newbees who just wanted to talk to someone about basic cleaning of their luger. I remember how nervous I was the first time I did it alone. I remember how nervous I was the first time I did it at a gun show with the dealer looking over my shoulder. I remember jamming the firing pin into the housing and getting it stuck there and how embarrassed I was to run to a friend of mines house to unjam it for me. I remember how long I had to look for that little spring on the trigger that dropped on the floor. I remember unsucessfully looking for that little pin that holds the safety into the gun. I remember breaking that pin on a different gun while trying the re-install it.

I hate to use this phrase, but I felt their pain. But I knew that in time they will gain confidence and go further in stripping down a luger. I just wanted to put my feet in their shoes and help. But right now they just wanted to know the basics to help them build up their confidence.

When I said that some people went into never never land, I noticed that some people went beyond the basic cleaning and maybe beyond basic cleaning confidence level by NEW people. But thats OK. I found some of the cleaning hints to be helpful. I even copied one section to help me clean my deer rifle Remington 742. The barrels cone MUST be kept clean but its a bear to do a good job on. But some people went into a TOTAL breakdown of the luger. Some people took on an adversary tone as to why a luger should be cleaned beyond just basic cleaning of the bore and putting a film of oil on the gun.

I hope that this helps you understand my feelings as to why is said what I said. This forum has many different levels of lugerheads and sometimes to be more helpful we have to try to put ourselves in the other persons position. I would never have said the instructions that I did with, say HÃ?Â¥kan. He is clearly at a different level.

Now, if I could just find someone to help me strip down my Winchester model 94 for a total cleaning. MY confidence is really low. I got the books but there are too many parts.

Big Norm