View Single Post
Unread 07-08-2001, 10:29 PM   #17
Big Norm
RIP

Default NOW NOW GENTLE PEOPLE

First of all, the original question was from two newbees who felt a little intimidated about stripping and cleaning their lugers. I made a suggestion that I thought would help them strip the gun without losing parts. I have nearly lost parts in carpeting when I first started and spent a lot of time looking before I found MOST of them. I wanted to help them avoid that sort of disaster.

Then people went off into never never land.

Let us remember, these guns are fifty to one hundred years old. My guess is that the breech block on MOST lugers have NEVER been disassembled unless there was a restoration. Who knows what lerks in the evil darkness of that area? How many people have ever taken the safety lever off? There could be E-Coli in there for all you know. That little, itsy bitsy pin in there can be lost very easily. And worse yet, it can be broken easily while attempting to re-install.

A while back, I heard rumors that the ejectors in the breech where breaking after all these years of usage. I have not found any substantation to those rumors. But what can it hurt to check it out? In the back of my brain it seems that I remember reading someplace that the 1900 luger had a problem in this area.

Finally, do you experinced lugerheads remember the first time that you took a luger apart? Remember how nervous you were? Now, its no big thing. Now there are two newbees who started this thread who feel a little nervous and we should try to come down to their level and help them until they get their confidence up. Remember too that they are not the only newbees who feel just as nervous and want to do the right thing. Try not to snow them with talk that might be too advanced for a beginner. Todays beginners are tomorrows serious collectors. They are the ones who will continue what we are doing now.

Love ya all,

Big Norm