View Single Post
Unread 07-07-2001, 02:51 PM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: "Shooters" Care and Maintenance

Remember that because of the blood pitting, Your gun does have a certain amount of history because it has character. Somebody bleed on that gun fighting so something. We don't know who or why. But you can look at it and wonder.

Aside from that, until you get used to really stripping the gun down to give it a good cleaning, do it on a top of a bed. Some of these parts (change that to springs) will either fall off (e.i trigger spring) or shot off (e.i ejector spring). Its a lot easier to find a small part on a white bed spread than on a dark plush carpet. Some of the pins can be hard to find. I have learned this the hard way.

Use a brass knockout punch to remove pins. That way you won't scratch up your blueing. Think when you remove the Locking Bolt. Many guys have used a screw driver the wrong way and have broken that part or scratched it badly.

If you have trouble closing the Locking Bolt when you finish. You probably have the side plate in wrong. Make sure that the lip of the side plate at the rear is properly under the frame. Many guys have it on the top of the frame and then try to force the Locking Bolt. Try not to force the Locking Bolt or the side plate. The Locking Bolt has a spring under it and this spring will create a little tightness when opening or closing the gun. Some guns are tight some are not.

I may be a bit wordy but I am trying to remember all my mistakes and trying to help other guys who are just starting out. This forum has a group of newbees continuously entering and I want to help all. It does no good if anyone says that it was mentioned three months ago in the forum. A newbee may not have been here then. Sometimes instructions have to be repeated.

After you have done it a few times you will adapt a feel for where to be careful.

Big Norm