Unread 12-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #16
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Congratulations on your LP08 complete rig.

I doubt that military regulations would have permitted or encouraged a soldier to write his name on his issued firearm.

There were unit markings placed on many firearms, and records kept at unit level associating issued firearms with the individual soldier responsible for the firearm.

I can't make out the detail of the markings you show from your photographs.

It is possible that the person that captured this rig wrote their own name on it, or that someone that later came into possession of it wrote their name on it.
I can guarantee you that this rig was signed at a much later date than '1917' and not by the armorer or soldier on the day.

mrerick is absolutely correct that there is NO way "military regulations would have permitted or encouraged a soldier to write his name on his issued firearm."

The Luger rig in question was the property of the Kaiser's Imperial Army when 'loaned' to the Imperial soldier to use in combat and serialized for such reasons as accounting for their whereabouts and the person responsible for its care and control.

To sign one's name on government property is tantamount to theft in the eyes of the government and would have brought swift punishment to the offender.

I believe the stock was signed around the end of WW2 or later because of the nature of the ink color and the manner it displays on the wooden stock. It has a smooth even flow indicative of a stub nib fountain pen of the mid 40's to late 60's. By the way the primary ink used in 1917 would be black India ink like on the holster.

Indeed the signature almost looks like a 'Sharpie' signature but the pooled ink pause marks eliminate it being a sharpie or felt pen and most probably a fountain pen with the 'stub' nib.

At the end of the day the gun is still my favorite variety of Luger - the Artillery. And even though the 1917 is the most common Artillery around I would love to add this to my collection, I have 4 already but always room for another Arty.

It's a beautiful rig Telembugrm, you are very lucky to have it.

Remember guys Buy the gun - not the story.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to spangy for your post: