View Single Post
Unread 05-30-2022, 03:09 PM   #1
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Beginners Mistake

So I will share a mistake I made with a recently purchased Luger. I ran across a 1912 Erfurt that caught my eye because it was unit marked. The seller said it was all matching minus the mag so I looked it over with a fine toothed comb and sure enough all #'s matched, all the proofs were visible where they were supposed to be, good bore, hold open, grips, firing pin all match. Original mid 90% finish. I was sooo excited to find a Erfurt with a unit mark which I later determined to be from a machine gun company attached to the 172 infantry regiment that was part of the 7th army on the western front. Anyway I get home and head right to my gun room to clean it and "Holy Smoke" that's when I noticed no number on the lock bolt/takedown lever. I couldn't believe I missed that, I was furious with myself to overlook something so obvious. All the studying and research from books and the Forum, reading and asking questions, I still made a bone head move! I am fairly over it now and truly like the pistol and convinced myself it still has a lot going for it. I guess it could be worse but thinking it had all matching #'s on all the required parts well not so much. I paid just under 2g's for it so it wasn't to expensive of a mistake. Learned a lesson for sure, to keep more calm and be careful not to get blinded with excitement when looking at something. BTW not blaming the seller at all as I had all the time and opportunity to carefully examine the pistol.
Happy Memorial Day
Jim
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to jeb111 for your post: